Decreasing Your Cancer Risk
World Cancer Day 2021 is on the 4th of February. The theme is “Together, All our actions matter”.
So I thought it would be helpful to create a bit of awareness about what increases the risk of cancer – and what we can do to decrease our cancer risks.
Every day we are exposed to elements and lifestyle choices that have the potential to increase or decrease our risk. This means that every day we have the power to make choices that positively influence our long-term health
Did you know that diet and lifestyle are probably 2 of the biggest factors in your risk level?
Smoking is a massive risk factor. Among all the research it is shown as one of the biggest risk potentials. While this is commonly known – there are plenty of other factors which play a role.
Being in deficient in vitamins and minerals can also increase your risk of cancer. Specifically, Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium and Iodine. Unfortunately these are all vitamins and minerals that the majority of the population tend to be deficient in.
Other dietary choices that increase cancer risk include consuming artificial sweeteners, regularly eating processes meats and charred food, and a high intake of trans fats (think deep fried foods). A lack of fish and seafood in the diet has also been noted to increase cancer risks.
Some lifestyle factors include a lack of movement and/or sitting too much. Research actually shows that every 2 hours spent sitting during the day increase the risk of cancers. Chronic inflammation and high levels of estrogen are contributing factors too.
So how can we actively decrease our risk of cancer?
Changing your diet is a great place to start!
Incorporate a variety of fruit and vege in your diet! Aiming for a rainbow of colours helps here as this includes plenty of antioxidant rich foods such as berries, kale, and red cabbage! Research also indicates that garlic and cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and bok choy help reduce the risk of cancer.
BPA has been associated with a number of cancers so opting for glass or stainless steel containers for food and drink storage is a great choice.
A frequently overlooked but highly beneficial way to reduce your risk is to look at how to alkalise your diet and your body. Use an alkalising water filter, decrease acid foods in the body and add more alkalising foods like seeds, melons, green juice and lemon water. Foods like dairy, sugar, grains, coffee and meat are all more acidic by nature. Aim for about 20 % of your diet as the more acidic foods and the other 80% as fruits, vege, nuts, seeds and other alkalising foods.
Try to get moving in a way that feels good for your body. Current guidelines recommend aiming for 20-40 minutes of activity a day that increase your heart rate. Staying active is a great choice in so many ways, but it will also reduce your cancer risks too. It is important to look at ways to reduce chronic inflammation ad stabilise hormones. This can be a bit harder to manage alone and a practitioner can be a great support. If you would like more information about how we can support you please use the contact form here.
May 2021 Bring Health and Healing!